June 24, 2010 2 Comments
October 14, 2009 32 Comments
Conventional wisdom, at least as far as the local Internet is concerned, would have it that the Philippines is something of an oddball oasis where localized tastes have catapulted obscure web players to top status, while global top dogs trail far behind. We inhabit an alternate universe. In DC Comic book terms, we are Earth-23 in the multiverse of realities. Or the bottled city of Kandor in the Fortress of Solitude.
Thus, Friendster and Multiply were considered the top names in social networking, while the Canada-based Plurk.com lorded it over the microblogging category. This was typical for the ASEAN region, particularly in Singapore, Indonesia, Malaysia, and the Philippines – the so-called “SIMP” countries.
In other words, Friendster was widely known to be #1, trumping Facebook. And anecdotally, Plurk was considered more popular than Twitter. This constituted conventional wisdom, and that notion has been challenged by new data.
The latest Alexa rankings for the top websites in the Philippines now show the following results for these specific players:
Note that Facebook is not just the #1 social network, it is now listed as the #1 website in the Philippines, period. Read more of this post
- #PHNet19 : 19 years of Philippine Internet
- New on Blog De La Musique: Ely, Rico, Raimund, and Barbie’s 21st Century redux of a 70s classic
- The Troubles of Claire: The 419 spam drama takes a new twist
- “What happened to PhilMusic?” and other Pesky Questions
- Showdown at the .PH domain Corral – the 2012 Edition
- Crowdsourcing local music scene documentation: The #PhilMusic hashtag on Instagram
- IdeaSpace Technopreneur Bootcamp is coming to Ateneo de Manila on June 2!
- Why Some Are Calling Jessica Sanchez the “World Idol” And Other Twitter Mysteries
- Did Twitter Correctly Predict the Winner of American Idol?
- Barcelona Diary: Blogging from MWC 2012
- #AngelHack Manila is coming! #AngelHackMNL bit.ly/angelhackmanila instagram.com/p/ZjdV4gJtfu/ 1 hour ago
- The Azkals News is out! paper.li/JimAyson/12918… ▸ Top stories today via @marloncuevas19 @AzkalsUnited @Tipinjoy 3 hours ago
- @chimiyhamyham That is the Facebook app for Java - back then it was free to use on Smart, now its P15/day unli (or is it P10) ... 3 hours ago
- More SM Aura hijinks - Breaktime: Bonifacio gobble city shar.es/ZezTA via @inquirerdotnet 3 hours ago
- 5th Gen iPad To Enter Production In July Ahead Of September Release [Rumor] flip.it/f1Aed 4 hours ago
- Hangouts is 'the future of Google Voice,' full calling functionality will return to desktop soon flip.it/UbNGn 4 hours ago
- The Mobile App Developer is out! paper.li/JimAyson/13417… ▸ Top stories today via @MickiAshcraft @SiafuTeam @rydaka 8 hours ago
- Box Office: Young chicks hate Star Trek flip.it/B7GgJ 12 hours ago
- "The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... or the one." #spock youtu.be/Xa6c3OTr6yA 12 hours ago
- Some frozen corn and broccoli from the freezer - voila instant veggie dish! instagram.com/p/ZiPU3_ptZb/ 13 hours ago
- 270,406 page views